Explaining truffle-api-changes #185 & #186

Jaroslav Tulach jaroslav.tulach at oracle.com
Thu Mar 17 09:41:51 UTC 2016

Hi there.
The daily report of changes noticed:

Added Annotations
-----------------

com.oracle.truffle.api.QuitException:   anno 0 java.lang.Deprecated()

that is correct, but probably we can go even further. The exception has been
introduced after release of Truffle @ 0.11 and we can remove it before Truffle
@ 0.12 is out. Please get ready for that.

Added Methods
-------------

com.oracle.truffle.api.debug.SuspendedEvent:                method public
final void com.oracle.truffle.api.debug.SuspendedEvent.kill()

Correct. Plus I'd like to see removal of com.oracle.truffle.api.KillException
(also introduced after 0.11 was released) before we release Truffle @ 0.12.

Martin Entlicher suggested to make that exception package private subclass of
ThreadDeath https://github.com/graalvm/truffle/pull/98#issuecomment-196412876
and I like that as it uses something that is Java standard rather than
introducing Truffle's own concept.

-jt

PS: I'd like to release Truffle @ 0.12 during next week, but I am struggling
with https://github.com/graalvm/truffle/issues/81 and it has to be resolved