Debugging Graal on JDK 9

Doug Simon doug.simon at oracle.com
Wed Oct 19 13:06:02 UTC 2016

The way I do it is to launch via mx with the -d option. For example:

dsimon at kurz ~/h/graal-core> mx -d vm -XX:+BootstrapJVMCI -XX:+UseJVMCICompiler -version
Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 8000

Then attach with the "graal-core-attach-localhost-8000” Remote Java Application launch configuration generated by `mx eclipseinit`.

Stepping through JDK9 code (including JVMCI) will be with incorrect or missing sources since Eclipse does not yet work with a JDK9 as you discovered. It’s not super convenient, but you can work around this by adding source paths from a JDK9 forest to your debug session:

Run -> Debug Configurations… -> Remote Java Application -> graal-core-attach-localhost-8000 -> “Source” tab

-Doug