Debugging Graal on JDK 9

Doug Simon doug.simon at oracle.com
Wed Oct 19 13:48:31 UTC 2016

> On 19 Oct 2016, at 15:41, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks everybody!

No worries - we want to you to win ;-)

> I'm getting closer:
>
> mercury:graal-core $  JVMCI_VERSION_CHECK=ignore mx -d vm  -XX:+UseJVMCICompiler -XX:-PrintCompilation -XX:CompileCommandFile=.hotspot_compiler -cp ~ FloatTest
> /local/mercury/local/graal/graal-core/mxbuild/modules/com.oracle.graal.graal_core.pickled does not exist

I suspect you haven't done an `mx build` since changing your JAVA_HOME. The above error means that the graal-core module has not been built and it’s only built if the JAVA_HOME you’re using is a JDK9 JAVA_HOME.

> This is JDK9, built today from jdk9/hs.
>
> Without JVMCI_VERSION_CHECK=ignore I get
>
> The VM does not support the minimum JVMCI API version required by Graal.
> Cannot read JDK9 EA build number from java.vm.version property: 9-internal+0-2016-10-19-140336.aph.hs.
> Set the JVMCI_VERSION_CHECK environment variable to "ignore" to suppress this error or to "warn" to emit a warning and continue execution.
> Currently used Java home directory is /local/mercury/local/hs/build/linux-x86_64-normal-server-release/images/jdk.
> Currently used VM configuration is: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM

That’s expected. Until there’s a JDK9 build number we can reliably depend on in terms of JVMCI API stability, the JVMCI_VERSION_CHECK=ignore setting is required.

-Doug