JVMCI 0.33 released

Ted Neward ted at tedneward.com
Wed Aug 23 22:55:18 UTC 2017

My personal opinion/approach is to take the more layered approach, since that seems to echo what the Docker team is suggesting, and allows for more flexibility on the part of the downstream Docker user (e.g., me). That said, my personal interest is in “ALL THE THINGS”, so I would also love to see an image that has everything in it, particularly since the cost of using/maintaining both is pretty negligible.

For my own demos, for example, I’ve built a base “java” image, which then is the FROM that the “scala” image and “frege” images pull from, only adding in the scala/sbt bits (for example) in the “scala” image. Then, if I have particular code of interest I want to include as a demo, I build a “scala-demo” containing a copy of the demo code I want to display to people. And so on.

That’s my $.02 worth. If you guys are thinking about doing this in the next few weeks, I’ll wait, but if not, I’ll probably take a pass at doing it myself just because I want to explore the whole space.

Also, quick thought: Bonus points if you have separate images for *running* Graal and *building* it. :-)

Ted Neward
Author, Speaker, Mentor
http://www.newardassociates.com
t: @tedneward | m: (425) 647-4526