Updated everything, got this odd message:

Doug Simon doug.simon at oracle.com
Wed Jan 18 20:45:37 UTC 2017

From http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/graal-dev/2017-January/004793.html:

"Furthermore, a version of Graal has now been integrated into JDK9 as the module named `jdk.vm.compiler`. This complicates developing and deploying github Graal on JDK9 since we need to replace this module at compile and run time with the Graal sources under development. As detailed in JDK-8171448[6], achieving the latter is possible via use of --patch-module and --upgrade-module-path. The only way I've found to compile Graal sources (and Graal test sources) on JDK9 without the builtin jdk.vm.compiler getting in the way is to emulate --strict-compliance mode. As such, I've added support[7] to mx for projects to force this mode by appending `=` to the end of their javaCompliance attribute value (e.g., "javaCompliance" : "1.8=") in suite.py."

This explains why a jdk8 now needs to be also provided via --extra-java-homes mx option or the EXTRA_JAVA_HOMES env var.

I may be missing some trick for incrementally compiling a replacement JDK module so any hints in that direction would be appreciated ;-)

-Doug