Emitting Graal IR

Renzo Borgatti reborgml at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:36:23 UTC 2018

Thanks Thomas for the reference I had a quick read.

I was under the assumption that some form of PE (and other optimisation techniques) was happening on the IR independently from Truffle and there should be an advantage already just by emitting IR. I understand there are good reasons to use Truffle for a new language, but if the language already exists and emits semi-optimised bytecode (e.g. some types are inferred others generate warnings to invite type hinting), it seems relatively straightforward to change it to emit IR. I was under the impression that this would be already an advantage over classic HotSpot graphs. Sorry if I'm talking rubbish here, it's very possible I don't understand it completely.

Renzo