RFR: 8201318: Introduce GCThreadLocalData to abstract GC-specific data belonging to a thread

Vladimir Kozlov vladimir.kozlov at oracle.com
Thu Apr 19 15:59:55 UTC 2018

Yes, that was discussion I mentioned on our meeting with Labs. I proposed to send such request to our group with [Graal
upstream] in subject.

My proposal was for compiler group to sponsor small upstream Graal changes from other groups after they pushed it into
OpenJDK. We will create PR and handle review process (I think we need to include original author in PR review too).

Changes should be pushed upstream before next "Graal update" pushed into OpenJDK. Changes could be modified after review
- it is fine since we overwrite Graal code in OpenJDK anyway with each sync.

That is only way I see we can keep code in OpenJDK working all time and let changes from other groups move forward faster.

The only issue I see is we have to handle Graal support for JDK 8 when we change VM structures in current JDK which
other group usually don't include in their changes. We have to teach them eventually.

I think this will happen not frequently and we can handle it.

Note, this only applies for small changes like current one. For big Graal changes authors have to prepare PR review them
self before pushing into Graal and OpenJDK (we can help them to prepare and learn process) because they know changes the
best.

Regards,
Vladimir