Substrate VM Questions

Tom Shull teshull at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 16:14:51 UTC 2018

Hi,

     I am interested in using Substrate VM for a project in which I plan
to make some changes to the internal JVM object layout. I would like to
use a metacircular VM, as I feel they are much more amenable to these
types of changes as compared to HotSpot.  Looking at its GitHub page,
there currently seems to be very little  documentation relating to
Substrate VM. I have appreciated the many publications/talks covering
both Truffle and Graal, but there does not yet seem to be any for
Substrate VM. Do you plan to include more documentation and/or publish
papers in the near future?

Also, from what I can tell, it appears that unless Substrate VM is used
with Truffle, it does not JIT-compile code. Is this correct? Do you plan
to change this in the near future, by either adding JIT support to
Substrate VM or including a Java/JVM implementation in Truffle? Would I
be better off using Maxine VM instead? Ideally I would like JIT
capabilities so that I can also add some profile-guided speculative
optimizations.

Thanks
-Tom