[concurrency-interest] a volatile bug?

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Wed May 16 12:12:25 PDT 2012

It can be a compiler (mis)optimization that causes this, and not x86 memory
ordering.

Someone posted the assembly output in the comments on SO and it does seem
like there's a place that loads 'b' from the stack rather than memory.
Hans' theory of CSE sounds plausible - can someone repro this without that
"int tt = b;" line?

Adding hotspot compiler guys in case they want to chime in.

Sent from my phone