Review Request (S): 8002364 - compile_id is not unique when CICountOSR is set

Nils Eliasson nils.eliasson at oracle.com
Thu Nov 8 07:15:26 PST 2012

When developing the compiler events for JFR i noticed that the compile
IDs where not always unique. And that guarantee is needed. The
CICountOSR flag (default in develop) makes the compile_id be used as an
osr_id instead. This can cause confusion when used with JFR. And it is
never wrong to have a dependable unique id.

I suggest this change that makes us always have unique compile ID while
keeping the osr_id separately.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~neliasso/8002364/webrev.03/
<http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Eneliasso/8002364/webrev.03/>

This has the consequences:
Flag CICountOSR is removed - the functionality is there always anyway.
Flag CIBreakAtOSR,  CIStartOSR and CIStopOSR is still in use but the osr
ID isn't printed in the compilation log, so it may be a little harder to
use.

I considered removing the CIBreakAtOSR flag and then there was no need
for saving the osr_id after the CIStart/StopOSR check. That would make
the code a bit nicer (and save a field).
I have kept the osr_id increment behavior making the code slightly more
complex.

//Nils