RFR (L): 8015774: Add support for multiple code heaps

Tobias Hartmann Tobias.Hartmann at oracle.com
Mon Apr 14 11:56:53 UTC 2014

Hi,

please review the new version of the following patch that adds support
for multiple code heaps to the code cache.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~anoll/8015774/webrev.04/
<http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Eanoll/8015774/webrev.03/>

*Short description:*
This change implements support for multiple code heaps in the code
cache. The interface of the code cache was changed accordingly and
references from other components of the VM were adapted. This includes
the indirect references from:
- the Serviceability Agent: vmStructs and the Java code cache interface
(sun.jvm.hotspot.code.CodeCache)
- the dtrace ustack helper script (jhelper.d)
- the pstack support library libjvm_db.c

Currently the code cache contains the following three code heaps each of
which contains CodeBlobs of a specific type:
- Non-Profiled methods: nmethods that are not profiled and native methods
- Profiled methods: nmethods that are profiled
- Non-methods: Non-methods like buffers and adapters

By default the non-method code heap uses 3 MB plus additional space for
the compiler buffers that is dependent on the number of compiler threads
(see CodeCache::initialize_heaps). The remaining code cache space is
distributed equally among the non-profiled and the profiled code heaps.
*
**Tested:*
JPRT, SPECjvm2008, SPECjbb2005, SPECjbb2013, Octane + Nashorn

Thanks,
Tobias