RFR(L): 8074981 (Integer/FP scalar reduction optimization )

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 19:12:16 UTC 2015

Oh, the motivation is there! :) However, it's not always a quick process
even if everyone's motivated as there may be changes of consequence.  As a
small example, java 8 virtual memory charge is significantly higher than
java 7 due to metaspace vs permgen differences.  In some cases, this now
requires tweaking java 8 settings in order to keep things running
smoothly.  With a big enough codebase, such migrations are never as quick
as one would hope.

At any rate, yes, I meant loop reduction vectorization.  It seems like a
fairly self-contained change which should be relatively painless to
backport, hence my inquiry.