profiling of branches - odd code generation?

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 00:33:26 UTC 2015

Ok I see the complication with the restart in interpreter (I think that's
what Remi was saying as well).  I suspect that most checks will tend to not
have side effects (bad practice), but of course there may be some and for
more complex scenarios sufficient inlining would need to occur.  For simple
cases however, it's a pity since the VM has enough info and deopt ability
to do this safely.  The real case i had was checks against enum constants,
but the int example is just as good.

As for switch, I didn't try it this time but we had a thread on here a few
months back where I was complaining about the switch not handling the same
type of scenario, and John Rose mentioned it's a known issue with switches
(i.e. no profile based optimization) :).  In addition, I find some of the
switch codegen suboptimal (e.g. same cmp performed back to back with just a
different jump after).  So I then tried if/else chain given that's
supposedly profiled, and it is but apparently the codegen isn't what I
thought it would be.  I was basically hoping for a single class CHA-like
analysis for branches :).

sent from my phone