[9] RFR (M): VM should constant fold Unsafe.get*() loads from final fields

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Thu Jun 18 12:03:19 UTC 2015

Hi Vladimir,

I like the test, you have almost hand rolled your own specializer :-)

A minor point. Since you have created a ClassWriter with "ClassWriter.COMPUTE_MAXS | ClassWriter.COMPUTE_FRAMES" can you remove the "mv.visitMax(0, 0)" calls?

I was a little confused by the code that checked the expected result against the actual result.

I am guessing the white box methods return -1 if the value is not a constant and 1 if it is. (Perhaps that can be documented, if even those methods may eventually reside somewhere else.) Whereas, Generator.expected returns 0 or 1.

 118         if (direct != unsafe || // difference between testDirect & testUnsafe
 119             (unsafe != -1 && expected != unsafe)) // differs from expected, but ignore "unknown"(-1) result
 120         {
 121             throw new AssertionError(String.format("%s: e=%d; d=%d; u=%d", t.name(), expected, direct, unsafe));
 122         }

I don't quite understand why  "unknown"(-1)  can be ignored.

Can that be changed to the following if Generator.expected returned the same values as the WB methods?

  if (direct != unsafe || unsafe != expected) { ... }

?

Paul.