RFR(S): 8148696: Race loading hsdis may cause SIGSEGV

Nils Eliasson nils.eliasson at oracle.com
Sat Feb 6 07:50:47 UTC 2016

Hi Vladimir,

On 2016-02-05 17:54, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
>> tries to load the hsdis library. Three of four code paths are locked by
>> the ttyLocker, but the fourth is open to races.
> I'd suggest to either add ttyLocker on the fourth path or try to move
> it down the call chain to some shared code. (Keep in mind that
> ttyLocker is reentrant!)

Yes maybe I should just do that. The time in library check and load is
probably insignificant compared to the time spent disassembling and
printing.

>> Solution:
>> I chose to add another lock (mutex) for this purpose and adapted the
>> code so that library_load code works as intented.
> Another mutex will not work - tty_lock has the lowest rank (event):
>   def(tty_lock                     , Mutex  , event,       true,
> Monitor::_safepoint_check_never);      // allow to lock in VM

In my suggested code the ttylocker is not held while loading the
library. The critical section is slightly smaller than before.

> I experimented with that when fixing 8071374, but decided to guard
> everything with tty_lock.
>
> Best regards,
> Vladimir Ivanov

I'll have a look at the bug and post a new webrev.

Thanks!
Nils Eliasson