RFR (S): 8146820: JVMCI properties should use HotSpotJVMCIRuntime.getBooleanProperty mechanism

Christian Thalinger christian.thalinger at oracle.com
Tue Jan 12 22:14:29 UTC 2016

> On Jan 12, 2016, at 12:03 PM, Doug Simon <doug.simon at oracle.com> wrote:
>

>> On 12 Jan 2016, at 22:39, Christian Thalinger <christian.thalinger at oracle.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jan 12, 2016, at 10:14 AM, Doug Simon <doug.simon at oracle.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If we’re going with an enum, you could put accessors directly in the enum:
>>>
>>>  private static final boolean TrustFinalDefaultFields = Option.TrustFinalDefaultFields.getBoolean(true);
>>>
>>>  private static final String TraceMethodDataFilter = Option.TraceMethodDataFilter.getString(null);
>>>
>>> You could then type the value of the options and check the right accessor is used:
>>>
>>>   public enum Option {
>>>       ImplicitStableValues(boolean.class),
>>>       InitTimer,  // Note: Not used because of visibility issues (see InitTimer.ENABLED).
>>>       PrintConfig(boolean.class),
>>>       PrintFlags(boolean.class),
>>>       ShowFlags(boolean.class),
>>>       TraceMethodDataFilter(String.class),
>>>       TrustFinalDefaultFields(String.class);
>>>
>>> Even ignoring these suggestions, the discipline imposed by the enum if a good idea.
>>
>> Excellent idea!  I was also thinking about adding the default value to the enum.
>
> Can you do that without having to box the default value?

No, we have to box but we can initialize all flags in the constructor:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~twisti/8146820/webrev.02/

We will not have many flags so this should be alright.  A PrintFlags looks like this:

$ ./build/macosx-x86_64-normal-server-release/jdk/bin/java -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+EnableJVMCI -Djvmci.PrintFlags=true InitGraal
[List of JVMCI options]
  boolean ImplicitStableValues                     := true
  boolean InitTimer                                := false
  boolean PrintConfig                              := false
  boolean PrintFlags                                = true
  boolean ShowFlags                                := false
   String TraceMethodDataFilter                    := null
   String TrustFinalDefaultFields                  := true

I’m almost tempted to move InitTimer to another package, like jdk.vm.ci.common …