RFR(m): 8221734: Deoptimize with handshakes

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Tue May 7 02:49:05 UTC 2019

Hi Robbin,

I took a look at this and it is a lot more complex than I had expected.
There are some interconnections that I'm not understanding here. From
existing code why does deopt need to revoke biases? I don't see how
deopt changes anything in respect to monitor ownwership. Then in the new
code why do you have to inflate monitors to do deopt? If this is truly
new behaviour and I didn't just miss where this happens in existing
code, then how does this impact the number of ObjectMonitors in
existence and the monitor deflation process?

More comments below ...

On 3/05/2019 8:31 pm, Robbin Ehn wrote:
> Hi, please see this update:
>
> Inc:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rehn/8221734/v2/inc/webrev/index.html
> Full:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rehn/8221734/v2/webrev/

src/hotspot/share/code/codeCache.cpp

This comment block no longer applies give there is no safepoint op now:

1190   // CodeCache can only be updated by a thread_in_VM and they will
all be
1191   // stopped during the safepoint so CodeCache will be safe to
update without
1192   // holding the CodeCache_lock.

The same comment block here:

1208   // CodeCache can only be updated by a thread_in_VM and they will
all be
1209   // stopped dring the safepoint so CodeCache will be safe to
update without
1210   // holding the CodeCache_lock.

is already incorrect if not actually at a safepoint. It makes the
relationship between the Compile_lock, CodeCache_lock and being at a
safepoint rather confusing.

---

src/hotspot/share/code/nmethod.cpp

The comment here:

1119   // If _method is already NULL the Method* is about to be unloaded,
1120   // so we don't have to break the cycle. Note that it is possible to
1121   // have the Method* live here, in case we unload the nmethod because
1122   // it is pointing to some oop (other than the Method*) being
unloaded.

no longer fits the code given we no longer skip the _method==NULL case.
Further, the trailing comment here:

1123   Method::unlink_code(_method, this); // Break a cycle

seems unnecessary given we preceded this with 4 lines of commentary already!

Again this comment block:

1205 void nmethod::unlink_from_method() {
1206   // We need to check if both the _code and
_from_compiled_code_entry_point
1207   // refer to this nmethod because there is a race in setting these
two fields
1208   // in Method* as seen in bugid 4947125.
1209   // If the vep() points to the zombie nmethod, the memory for the
nmethod
1210   // could be flushed and the compiler and vtable stubs could still
call
1211   // through it.
1212   Method::unlink_code(method(), this);

seems meaningless with the code change you've applied.

---

src/hotspot/share/code/nmethod.hpp

!   void unlink_from_method();

Now this doesn't take the acquire_lock parameter it would be useful to
document what the locking expectations are: must this be called with a
given lock held, or will it always acquire a given lock if needed?

---

src/hotspot/share/oops/method.cpp

+ void Method::unlink_code(Method *method, CompiledMethod *compare) {
+ void Method::unlink_code(Method *method) {

I'm not sure making these methods static just so the NULL check can be
internalized is the best way to deal with this. Now you can't tell when
NULL is expected and when it is an error. IMHO it is better to keep
these as instance methods with a NULL check at the callsite if needed
(or an assert if NULL is not expected).

---

  src/hotspot/share/runtime/biasedLocking.cpp
  src/hotspot/share/runtime/biasedLocking.hpp

This seems like it would be better done after we have switched
biased-locking revocation to use handshakes instead of safepoints.
Otherwise we seem to be doing a partial conversion as a side-effect of
this bug and it's far from obvious that it is complete/correct.

---

src/hotspot/share/runtime/synchronizer.cpp

These changes have me worried:

    assert(Universe::verify_in_progress() ||
!          !SafepointSynchronize::is_at_safepoint(), "invariant");

becomes:

    assert(Universe::verify_in_progress() ||
!          !Universe::heap()->is_gc_active(), "invariant");

I don't see an immediate equivalence between not being at a safepoint
and not having a GC active. If I'm not at a safepoint now and the code
following doesn't do a safepoint check then we remain outside of a
safepoint. What is the same reasoning for a GC being active?

!         ResourceMark rm(Self);
!         ResourceMark rm;

Are you suggesting the current thread is not Self? If that is the case
then there should be numerous asserts earlier on to ensure we can't
follow any code paths that expect that Self is the current thread! But
I'm concerned that we've introduced a new way for a third-party thread
to introduce monitor inflation almost independent of the threads using
the monitor.

Thanks,
David
-----