RFR: 8223504: improve performance of forall loops by better inlining of "iterator()" methods.

Sergey Kuksenko sergey.kuksenko at oracle.com
Fri May 10 18:47:38 UTC 2019

Let me do a broader description.

When hotspot makes a decision to the "ultimate question compilation,
optimization and everything"  inline or not inline there are two key
part of that decision. It is check of sizes (callee and caller) and
check of frequencies (invocation count). Frequency check is reasonable,
why should we inline rarely invoked method? But sometimes we loose
optimization opportunities with that.

Let's narrow the scenario. We have a loop and a method invocation before
the loop. Inline of the method is a vital  for the loop performance. I
see at least two key optimizations here: constant propagation and scalar
replacement, maybe more. But if the loop has large enough amount of
iterations -> hotspot has large enough backedge counters -> but it means
that prolog is considered as relatively cold code (small amount of
invocation counter) -> that method (potentially vital for performance)
is not inlined (due to frequency/MinInlineThreashold cut off).

We can't say if inlining is important until we look into the loop (even
if there is a loop there). But we have to make a decision about inline
before that. So let's try to make reasonable heuristic and narrow the
scenario again. Limit our sight to Iterators. There is a very high
probability that after Iterable::iterator() invocation there is a loop
(covers all for-all loop). Also there is a high correlation between
collection size and amount of loop iterations. Let's inline all
iterators. I don't think the idea to analyze if "returned Iterator is a
freshly-allocated instance" makes sense. First of all it's unnecessary
complication.  Moreover, I have results when we have chain of iterators,
hotspot can't inline the whole chain due to absence of profile (and/or
profile pollution), but partial inline of the chain have shown
performance benefits. To get more effective prediction if that
particular inline is important we should look not into the method, but
to the usage of the method results (into the loop).

About the first comment (to broad or to narrow check). I have to note
that this fix doesn't force inline for all methods with "iterator" name.
The fix only excludes frequency cut off. All other checks (by sizes) are
still in place. I did broader check for two reasons: to simplify
modifications and to have wider appliances when it works. I could narrow
it if you insist, but at the same time I think we have to make that
check broader - don't look into method name at all. If you have
something  that returns Iterator - there will be loop after that with a
very high probability. So I'd vote for making that wider - check only
return type.