RFR(S): 8223444: Improve CodeHeap Free Space Management

Erik Osterlund erik.osterlund at oracle.com
Wed May 15 07:22:30 UTC 2019

Hi,

Didn’t read the full conversation, only the part where it was claimed we have byte atomicity on all platforms with memset.
That’s not true. On SPARC, the default is to use block initializing stores (BIS), which exposes concurrent readers to out-of-thin-air values that were never in the original memory state or the new memory state.

Moreover, the compiler is allowed to, and will also in practice, transform a loop that performs memset, into a memset call as long as the memory being memset is non-volatile.

These problems were observed in card tables and led to the introduction of
memset_with_concurrent_readers() to force the memset not to use BIS.

Just a FYI.

/Erik