[11u] RFR 8245512: CRC32 optimization using AVX512 instructions

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Jan 6 09:57:29 UTC 2021

On 12/23/20 1:09 PM, Langer, Christoph wrote:

> as we should be cautious about backports to an LTS release if something is not just a bugfix, I'm not sure whether this backport for a performance enhancement is good to go. Generally, if it can be proven that it's really just a potential performance improvement without side effects to other scenarios, I would be fine with it. But as I'm not an expert in this area, I'd prefer if it there was some further endorsement (or disapproval)...
>
> @Andrew Haley; @Lindenmaier, Goetz; @Doerr, Martin, what's your assessment?

We could backport for a significant performance bottleneck, but I'm
leaning toward the idea that JDK 11 is done: we're keeping it going by
fixing bugs and adapting to changing environments, but that should be
all.

However, there are exceptions to every rule!

There is a social problem in that maintainers get very demotivated
because non-LTS releases are "never used" so people's work doesn't
appear in production for years. I'm not sure exactly how to address
that, except to say that using the OpenJDK release stream shouldn't
be so very scary.

--
Andrew Haley  (he/him)
Java Platform Lead Engineer