RFR (S): JEP-142: Reduce Cache Contention on Specified Fields

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 11:05:50 PST 2012

Aleksey,

Have you considered allowing user to specify the padding amount in the
@Contended constructor? The default can be picked by the VM but may be
useful to allow overriding it so that someone can get the desired padding
on some new architecture without upgrading the JVM.

Also, how common is the adjacent line prefetcher today? On archs that don't
do that, the extra 64 bytes is a waste.  I think you'd really need to
extract that info from the cpuid if this isn't the dominant type of
prefetcher.  The extra memory waste may be a bigger issue on embedded
devices (although even they have quite substantial RAM these days).

Thanks

Sent from my phone