RFR (preliminary): JDK-8056999 Make hotspot builds less verbose on default log level

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Mon Sep 1 12:11:36 UTC 2014

Even in the default log level ("warn"), hotspots builds are extremely
verbose. With the new jigsaw build system, hotspot is build in parallel
with the jdk, and the sheer amount of hotspot output makes the jdk
output practically disappear.

This fix will make the following changes:
* When hotspot is build from the top dir with the default log level, all
repetetive and purely informative output is hidden (e.g. names of files
compiled, and the "INFO:" blobs).
* When hotspot is build from the top dir, with any other log level
(info, debug, trace), all output will be there, as before.
* When hotspot is build from the hotspot repo, all output will be there,
as before.

Note! This is a preliminary review -- I have made the necessary changes
for Linux only. If this fix gets thumbs up, I'll continue and apply the
same pattern to the rest of the platforms. But I didn't want to do all
that duplication until I felt certain that I wouldn't have to change
something major. The changes themselves are mostly trivial, but they are
all over the place :-(.

WebRev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8056999-less-verbose-hotspot-builds/webrev.01

/Magnus