Cross Component (hotspot+jdk) Development in the Hotspot Group Repos

Staffan Larsen staffan.larsen at oracle.com
Mon Sep 15 09:18:31 UTC 2014

On 9 sep 2014, at 08:46, Volker Simonis <volker.simonis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just add build changes and you get another class of changes which often require changing more than one repository in the forest.
>
> I was (and still am :) a fan of the HotSpot Express model and used to work and build Hotspot only for a long time. But after the introduction of the new build system which resulted in dramatically improved build times I've already switched to building whole forest for already quite some time now.
>
> There's still a small question I have: what about other cross development topics (e.g. top-level+jdk)? Will it be possible to "misuse" the new hotspot repositories to keep such changes in sync? Or will other team repositories like jdk-dev or jdk-client switch to such a model as well?

I think we should minimize the number of non-hotspot related changes in the hotspot repos. I’m thinking that if the changes do not involve the hotspot code or affect hotspot’s testing, then push the changes through the same route as today (usually jdk9/dev).

jdk9/dev already accepts changes to several repos at the same time (except hotspot repos), so changing top-level+jdk should be possible there.

Thanks,
/Staffan