RFR: JDK-8056999 Make hotspot builds less verbose on default log level

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Mon Sep 15 11:16:13 UTC 2014

Here is the full review of this fix. I have now applied the same pattern
as I used on linux to aix, bsd and solaris as well.

It turned out that windows was problematic. Due to the big difference
between windows and the unix versions (different and/or limited nmake
flexibility, different and/or limited shell functionality and
differences in design in the hotspot make files), I did not manage to
get a working Windows version of this fix in a reasonable time frame.
(This fix has already taken more time than I wanted to spend on it.)

I suggest that this fix nevertheless is an improvment on the other
platforms, and that I open a new bug report for the remaining work on
Windows.

And here's what I wrote about the preliminary version of this fix:

Even in the default log level ("warn"), hotspots builds are extremely
verbose. With the new jigsaw build system, hotspot is build in parallel
with the jdk, and the sheer amount of hotspot output makes the jdk
output practically disappear.

This fix will make the following changes:
* When hotspot is build from the top dir with the default log level, all
repetetive and purely informative output is hidden (e.g. names of files
compiled, and the "INFO:" blobs).
* When hotspot is build from the top dir, with any other log level
(info, debug, trace), all output will be there, as before.
* When hotspot is build from the hotspot repo, all output will be there,
as before.

I have tested building on JPRT with LOG=debug and LOG=warn, and it all
looks as it should as far as I could tell.

WebRev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8056999-less-verbose-hotspot-builds/webrev.02

/Magnus