RFR(XS): 8073754: Zero/PPC: StackOverflowError during build in javadoc processing.

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 12:48:00 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Severin Gehwolf <sgehwolf at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-07-30 at 10:46 +0200, Volker Simonis wrote:
>> Why can't you simply use:
>>
>>   --with-boot-jdk-jvmargs specify JVM arguments to be passed to all java
>>                           invocations of boot JDK, overriding the default
>>                           values, e.g --with-boot-jdk-jvmargs="-Xmx8G
>>                           -enableassertions"
>>
>> with the corresponding stack settings?
>
> See my earlier response to David. I'll do some more tests, but it didn't
> work for me.

So you are saying the StackOverflow may come from a thread which has
specified its own stack size at construction time and therefore the
default stack size settings are ignored. But I did a fast grep through
the jdk/ and langtools/ repository and couldn't find any occurrence of
such a 4-argument Thread constructor (i.e. "Thread(ThreadGroup group,
Runnable target, String name, long stackSize)").

If a normal thread doesn't honor the -XX:ThreadStackSize settings I'd
consider that a bug and fix that one first.