JEP 248: Make G1 the Default Garbage Collector

charlie hunt charlie.hunt at oracle.com
Thu Jul 30 18:04:23 UTC 2015

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response, you have some excellent points.

On javac, my observation is that it tends to have a very high object allocation rate, and the object lifetimes are somewhat short.  And, I suppose if we think about what javac does, I suppose we can come to terms as to why that’s the case. I imagine if one put forth a concerted effort, javac could be improved (probably true for many apps too).  Performance of javac is certainly one we want to pay close attention due to its impact to the developer use case.

I also like your comments on being prepared to answer / respond to observations that “J. Random Blogger” claims that Java just got slower. Completely agree with you!

If / when we seen this kind of thing …  A quick and easy rebuttable could be, “But a quick and easy setting of -XX:+UseParallelGC on the command line and we expect your app’s performance to be as good as (or better) than the previous release” and perhaps we could also add that we expect the majority of folks who do not set a GC to have a positive out of the box experience with this change.

In all fairness, it is may be worth mentioning too that it is possible that there are apps that do not set a specific GC today that may have a positive experience with G1 as the default. Though we likely will not hear many of those, not nearly as often as the negative experiences.

Should also mention that it’s reasonable to expect the JDK 9 release notes will include the default GC has changed, (i.e when no GC is specified), and if the performance is not as expected / desired, to suggest enabling Parallel GC.

thanks,

charlie