RFR (XS): 8129855: -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions hides "out of range" VM options.

gerard ziemski gerard.ziemski at oracle.com
Fri Jul 31 16:17:07 UTC 2015

On 07/30/2015 09:41 PM, Vladimir Kozlov wrote:
> Yes, lets hear others opinion.

Any other opinions?

> Note, your current changes should change 1.1.3 behavior too (should
> produce ERR).

Correct, fixed.

> So new consistent behavior is if a flag is *known* and *modifiable*
> the result should be the same with and without
> IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions flag.

Makes sense.

> You are also missing an other testing configuration - invalid usage of
> debug flag in product VM:
>
> -XX:DeoptimizeALot or -XX:CIStart=notnum
>
> Those should be ignored in product (produce OK).

I have added tables #1.6, #1.7 and #1.8 to check malformed flags. Tables
#1.6 and #1.7 will have the new behavior consistent with new and narrow
IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions flag interpretation(ex. ignore
*unrecognized*, but *not malformed*) as you suggested.

Is the table in https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8129855 the
right template now on which to base the implementation?