[verona.stage] RFR 8087203: Add support for PATCH field and remove unused fields of new version string

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Thu Jun 18 13:41:49 UTC 2015

On 16/06/2015 23:55, Alejandro E Murillo wrote:

> Please review these changes:
>
> Bug:  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8087202
> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~amurillo/9/8087202

The implementation of isJavaVersionAtLeast in the JAXP classes look okay
although I think this is code that could be removed. Joe Wang can
confirm but I think it dates back to when the JAXP API was a standalone
API and there was an attempt to keep the code in sync across major
versions. I'll create a separate bug re-examine this as it looks like
some clean-up can be done here.

Just on the comment "In JDK9 the version string was changed ..." will
date quickly and would be nice to say that "In JDK 8 and older then it
assumes 1.N and for JDK 9 and newer it assumes N.

In sun.misc.Version.initVersions then InternalError instead of
RuntimeException might be more appropriate as something is really broken
if that happens.

Also as David pointed out, it shouldn't be @since JDK9 in the new
method. This reminds me to check if the JEP says anything about @since
tags because we already have quite a few @since 1.9.

In the Version.java test then the line with the pattern is really long,
maybe that could be split up to make future side-by-side views easier to
read.

Otherwise looks okay to me.

-Alan.