[aarch64-port-dev ] RFR: 8129426: aarch64: add support for PopCount in C2

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Mon Jun 22 15:50:36 UTC 2015

On 22/06/15 16:41, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 06/22/2015 04:29 PM, Andrew Dinn wrote:
>> So, it seems Ed is right to use iRegI and rely on an l2i conversion to
>> zero the top word if the incoming value is long.
>
> I don't think that's safe.  I certainly don't think it's a good
> tradeoff.  I think it'd be the only place in our entire code base
> where we assume that the high bits of a jint are zero.  If it really
> wants zeros in the top bits we'd better put them there.

Well, yes, but it really /ought/ to be safe.

Whenever we generate an iRegI dst output we should be using a foow
instruction and end up with the top 32 bits zero. So, wherever we
consume an iRegI src input we ought to be able to rely on it having top
bits zero. Either it was generated directly as an iRegI output or it was
generated as an iRegL output and passed in via an l2i conversion.

If that assumption fails anywhere then it will only fail because we used
a foo insn where we really needed a foow. I think we would be better to
let any such errors fail as quickly as possible, find the error and fix
the offending code to use foow. Your mileage may vary.

regards,

Andrew Dinn