[9] RFR(M): 8076112: Add @HotSpotIntrinsicCandidate annotation to indicate methods for which Java Runtime has intrinsics

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Fri Jun 26 08:39:30 UTC 2015

On 25/06/2015 12:49, Zoltán Majó wrote:
> Hi,
>

> please review the patch for JDK-8076112.

> Problem: There is need to indicate Java methods that are potentially
> intrinsified by JVM.
>
> Solution: Mark intrinsified methods with the
> jdk.internal.HotSpotIntrinsicCandidate annotation. Add checks that are
> omitted by VM-level intrinsics to the library code. Add a new
> diagnostic flag, CheckIntrinsics. If CheckIntrinsics is enabled, the
> VM performs the following checks when a class C is loaded:
> - all intrinsics defined by the VM for class C are present in the
> loaded class file and are marked;
> - an intrinsic is defined by the VM for all marked methods of C.
>
> If a mismatch is detected, the following is done:
> - a fastdebug VM prints a warning and then exits;
> - a product VM prints a warning and unmarked are not intrinsified.
>
> Webrev:
> - top: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~zmajo/8076112/top/webrev.05/
> - jdk: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~zmajo/8076112/jdk/webrev.05/
> - hotspot: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~zmajo/8076112/hotspot/webrev.05/

I skimmed through the webrev and don't see any significant issues.

One thing to double check is that you are are keeping things locally
consistent. One example is the convention in many areas to use implFoo
rather than fooImpl. Also in some areas then native methods then you'll
see foo0 called from foo. I'm just mentioning it because it requires
coordination to rename these methods. You might also want to do a quick
pass over to ensure other consistency. I see a few places where 8 spec
indent is used, that could be just tabs of course.

-Alan