RFR (L): 8046148: JEP 158 Unified JVM Logging

Marcus Larsson marcus.larsson at oracle.com
Wed Sep 9 14:05:00 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-09 13:22, Chris Newland wrote:
> Thanks for the offer Kirk, I'd definitely be interested in hearing your
> thoughts.
>
> Marcus, my headache with the existing logging is different VM sources
> colliding, resulting in split lines that I can't deterministically
> reassemble. I believe this is caused by no locking around the tty.
>
> Will this problem be solved by unified logging when there is a single
> destination?

The UL framework only supports writing of complete log lines. Some of
the existing code prints parts of its log lines in chunks directly to
the tty, which means that such logging can be interleaved by other
writes to the tty causing split lines. This code will have to be
reworked during the migration to the UL framework so that only complete
lines are logged. Once this is done, there should be no split lines in
the log anymore, so in a sense the problem will be resolved with UL. :)

Thanks,
Marcus