RFR (L): 8046148: JEP 158 Unified JVM Logging

Coleen Phillimore coleen.phillimore at oracle.com
Wed Sep 16 19:59:07 UTC 2015

Hi Marcus,

I had to have someone tell me how the templates work so that the
log_is_enabled(Debug, etc) statements are efficient.  My initial concern
was that it would be expensive to test for logging in place of some
runtime Trace flags which evaluate to constant 'false' in product mode.

If this still turns out to be a problem, we may ask for an RFE to add a
flag_is_enabled(Develop, <tag>) or similar macro that evaluates to a
constant false in product mode.  Also, I think it might be helpful to
have more than one Develop level if we want certain logging flags to not
be available in product mode, ie DevelopInfo, DevelopDebug and
DevelopTrace.   But we can file RFEs for things we may need while doing
the runtime logging.

In
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mlarsson/8046148/webrev.01/src/share/vm/logging/logTagSet.hpp.html

Can you add to the comment at 103 that explains the magic that
instantiates _tagset to be the static variable that holds the settings
for each combination of tags found in the source code?  So that is_level
is only a static test.

And here:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mlarsson/8046148/webrev.01/src/share/vm/logging/logTagSet.cpp.html

The constructor for LogTagSet is a static constructor that links all the
static combinations of tags settings together so that they can be
initialized with the values for the logging options on the command line.

I don't need to see the comments.  I think this change is ready for
integration.

Thanks,
Coleen