RFR: 8153749 - New capability can_generate_early_class_hook_events

serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com
Thu Apr 14 18:35:08 UTC 2016

On 4/14/16 06:53, Alan Bateman wrote:

> On 14/04/2016 09:24, serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com wrote:
>> Please, review the Jigsaw-related fix for:
>>   https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8153749
>>

>> Hotspot webrev:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sspitsyn/webrevs/2016/hotspot/8153749-Jigsaw-newcap.hs1/
>>

>> Jdk webrev:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sspitsyn/webrevs/2016/jdk/8153749-Jigsaw-newcap.jdk1/
>>

> This looks good, just a few suggests for the JVM TI spec
>
> For can_generate_early_class_hook_events then it might be better if
> the first sentence said "in the primordial phase" rather than "early".

Agreed, fixed.

> In CFLH then alternative wording is "When
> can_generate_early_class_hook_events and
> can_generate_early_class_hook_events are enabled then this event
> may be send before the VM is initialized (the start phase)". I think
> that might be more consistent with the long standing wording.

Not sure, I understand the suggestion.

This is what was before the fix:
   "This event may be sent before the VM is initialized (the start phase)".

Now it is:
   "The timing of this event may depend on whether the agent has added the
     can_generate_early_class_hook_events capability or not.
   If the capability has been added then the VM posts the event in the
primordial phase.
   Otherwise, this event may be sent before the VM is initialized (the
start phase). "

What part do we want to change?

Would you like it to be like this:
   "The timing of this event may depend on whether the agent has added the
   can_generate_early_class_hook_events and
can_generate_all_class_hook_events
    capabilities or not.
    If the capabilities have been added then the VM posts the event in
the primordial phase.
    Otherwise, this event may be sent before the VM is initialized (the
start phase). "

or it is about something like this:
   "When can_generate_early_class_hook_events and
can_generate_all_class_hook_events
   are enabled then this event may be sent in the primordial phase.
   Otherwise, this event may be sent before the VM is initialized (the
start phase). "

Thanks,
Serguei