[9] RFR(XL) 8166417: Integrate Graal-core into JDK for AOT compiler

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Thu Dec 8 12:50:38 UTC 2016

On 2016-12-07 23:10, Vladimir Kozlov wrote:

> It is part of JEP 295: Ahead-of-Time Compilation
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kvn/8166417/top.webrev/
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kvn/8166417/jdk.webrev/
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kvn/8166417/hotspot.webrev/

* In CompileJavaModules.gmk, there is an *extreme* list of excludes. I
note that most of them end in ".test". The proper solution to this is to
move the test code to the test/ directory instead of the src/ directory.
Also, four of them are the javac processor build tools. These should
move to make/src, as other build tools.

* In hotspot.m4: AC_MSG_CHECKING must always be matched by a
AC_MSG_RESULT, even before AC_MSG_ERROR, otherwise the output will be
garbled.

* In hotspot.m4: The test to determine if we should set INCLUDE_GRAAL is
incorrect. It only tests for the default value, not for the explicitely
set (i.e., HOTSPOT_CHECK_JVM_FEATURE(graal)).

* The file hotspot/make/Tools.gmk is broken ("ifeq ($(ENABLE_AOT),
true)" will never evaluate to true). But on the other hand, it is not
needed, and should just be removed. :-)

* The file hotspot/src/jdk.vm.compiler/share/classes/overview.html seems
a bit dangling. Is this supposed to be included in some Javadoc
generation? The html file refers to a projects.jpg and projects.html
that does not exist. Maybe it should just be removed?

* Finally, just for the record, I too think the source should be
structured according to the OpenJDK praxis. (But I won't fight about this.)

/Magnus