[9] RFR (XS): 8171155: Scanning method file for initialized final field updates can fail for non-existent fields

Zoltán Majó zoltan.majo at oracle.com
Tue Dec 13 11:35:35 UTC 2016

Hi,

please review the fix for 8171155.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~zmajo/8171155/webrev.00/

The JVM assumes the field it's looking for always exists. As a result,
the JVM processes uninitialized data if the field does not exists, which
results in a crash. The suggested fix is to check if the field exists
before processing it. Please find more details in the bug description.

I found the bug while JPRT-testing the 8u-backport of

8157181: Compilers accept modification of final fields outside
initializer methods

I was not able to reproduce the issue with 9, but (judging from the
code) JDK 9 is likely to be affected as well. So I'd prefer to fix this
problem in JDK 9 as well (and then backport the fix to 8u) instead of
pushing the fix only into 8u.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Zoltan