RFR: 8057752: WhiteBox extension support for testing

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 15:39:37 UTC 2016

Hi everybody,

sorry for the late question, but I'm just looking at the WhiteBox API
and I'm wondering what this "extension support" is all about?

Currently WhiteBox::register_extended() is an empty method and the few
WhiteBox methods added with this change (e.g.
getHeapUsageForContext()) are neither registered in the VM nor are
they used in anywhere within the OpenJDK.

Does "extension" mean "Oracle proprietary" in this context (i.e. do
you have another WhiteBox::register_extended() in your closed sources
which register the mentioned functions)? Or did I misunderstand the
whole code?

Thank you and best regards,
Volker