RFR 8145628: hotspot metadata classes shouldn't use HeapWordSize or heap related macros like align_object_size

Chris Plummer chris.plummer at oracle.com
Fri Jan 29 19:15:11 UTC 2016

Hi Coleen,

On 1/28/16 7:31 PM, Coleen Phillimore wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I made a few extra changes because of your question that I didn't
> answer below, a few HeapWordSize became wordSize.  I apologize that I
> don't know how to create incremental webrevs.  See discussion below.
>
> open webrev at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coleenp/8145628.02/
>
> On 1/28/16 4:52 PM, Chris Plummer wrote:
>> On 1/28/16 1:41 PM, Coleen Phillimore wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you, Chris for looking at this change.

>>> Okay, I can run one of the testsets with that.  I verified it in the
>>> debugger mostly.

>>> thanks - this is why I'd changed the align_object_size to
>>> align_heap_object_size before testing and changed it back, to verify
>>> that I didn't miss any.

>> ??? Any comment?
>
> Actually, I tried to get a lot of HeapWordSize in the metadata but the
> primary focus of the change, despite the title, was to fix
> align_object_size wasn't used on metadata.
ok.
> That said a quick look at the instances of HeapWordSize led to some
> that weren't in the heap.  I didn't look in Array.java because it's in
> the SA which isn't maintainable anyway, but I changed a few.  There
> were very few that were not referring to objects in the Java heap.
> bytecodeTracer was one and there were a couple in metaspace.cpp.
Ok. If you think there may be more, or a more thorough analysis is
needed, perhaps just file a bug to get the rest later.

As for reviewing your incremental changes, as long as it was just more
changes of HeapWordSize to wordSize, I'm sure they are fine. (And yes, I
did see that the removal of Symbol size alignment was also added).

> The bad news is that's more code to review.   See above webrev link.

>>> Okay, I'll remove it.  That's a good idea.

>>> I ran the CDS tests but I could test some more with CDS. We don't
>>> want to force the size of objects to be 64 bit (especially Symbol)
>>> because Metachunk::object_alignment() is 64 bits.
>> Do you mean "just" because? I wasn't necessarily suggesting that all
>> metadata be 64-bit aligned. However, the ones that have their
>> allocation size 64-bit aligned should be. I think David's concern is
>> that he wrote code that computes how much memory is needed for the
>> archive, and it uses size() for that. If the Metachunk allocator
>> allocates more than size() due to the 64-bit alignment of
>> Metachunk::object_alignment(), then he will underestimate the size.
>> You'll need to double check with David to see if I got this right.
>
> I don't know what code this is but yes, it would be wrong.  It also
> would be wrong if there's any other alignment gaps or space in
> metaspace chunks because chunks themselves have an allocation
> granularity.
>
> It could be changed back by changing the function align_metaspace_size
> from 1 to WordsPerLong if you wanted to.
>
> I fixed Symbol so that it didn't call align_metaspace_size if this
> change is needed in the future.
>
> I was trying to limit the size of this change to correct
> align_object_size for metadata.
Well, there a few issues being addressed by fixing align_object_size.
Using align_object_size was incorrect from a code purity standpoint (it
was used on values unrelated to java objects), and was also incorrect
when ObjectAlignmentInBytes was not 8. This was the main motivation for
making this change.

The 3rd issue is that align_object_size by default was doing 8 byte
alignment, and this wastes memory on 32-bit. However, as I mentioned
there may be some dependencies on this 8 byte alignment due to the
metaspace allocator doing 8 byte alignment. If you can get David to say
he's ok with just 4-byte size alignment on 32-bit, then I'm ok with this
change. Otherwise I think maybe you should stay with 8 byte alignment
(including symbols), and file a bug to someday change it to word
alignment, and have the metaspace allocator require that you pass in
alignment requirements.

> Thanks for looking at this in detail.
No problem. Thanks for cleaning this up.

Chris