SIGILL crashes JVM on PPC64 LE

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Thu May 12 12:26:59 UTC 2016

Hi Gustavo,

thanks for the bug report. The hs_err file you provided indicates that
this crash happened with Ubuntu's openjdk 8 version. Can you still
reproduce this with the the newest jdk9 builds?

Also, I can see from the hs_err file that the crash happened in the C2
compiled method java.util.TimSort.countRunAndMakeAscending which
doesn't seem to be related to nio and unsafe.

Ideally, you could post an easy test case to reproduce the problem. If
that's not possible, it would be helpful if you could post the output
of a failing run with
"-XX:CompileCommand=print,java.util.TimSort::countRunAndMakeAscending
-XX:CompileCommand=option,java.util.TimSort::countRunAndMakeAscending,PrintOptoAssembly".
In order to get the disassembly output for compiled methods you have
to build the hsdis library from hotspot/src/share/tools/hsdis (it has
a README with build instructions).

Regards,
Volker