RFR (M) 8157726: VarHandles/Unsafe should support sub-word atomic ops [RESEND]

Aleksey Shipilev aleksey.shipilev at oracle.com
Fri May 27 13:52:02 UTC 2016

(Please note this work is covered with FC exception)

(If you receive a previous version without [RESEND], please ignore)

Hi,

Please review the VarHandles/Unsafe support for sub-word atomic ops:

Webrevs:

  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~shade/8157726/webrev.hs.03/

  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~shade/8157726/webrev.jdk.03/

It *looks* like a lot of changes, but the bulk of changes are in tests,
and the rest of product code is mostly duplicating the existing cases
for the new code.

Tour of the changes:

Unsafe.java:

  *) Implements the baseline implementation for subword CASes, which
does the CAS loop within an aligned integer word. While we could
potentially detect 64-bit platform and do aligned long word instead,
this complicates implementation for no reason. 32-bit CASes are ubiquitous.

  *) Provides the entry points for VarHandles implementation. While
Unsafe provides the implementation for byte/short atomic ops only, it
also provides the boolean/char versions that are trivially implementable
with byte/short ops. While we could instead make VarHandles do this
conversion, it proved harder to do this in VarHandle templates, rather
than in Unsafe.

  *) Consistently uses weakCompareAndSetVolatile for CAS loops, in both
new and old code, which is important for a fallback implementation to
work well on non-x86 platforms.

VarHandles*:

  *) Now mentions subword atomic ops are available in method spec. We
have submitted CCC for this.

  *) VarHandle templates are slightly modified to do narrowing
conversions for shorter-than-int types. This keeps us from putting the
entire family of addAndGet methods to Unsafe.

  *) Test templates are changed to accommodate new code shapes, and also
change the bit patterns we use to detect endianness issues.

----- everything above does functionally complete subword ops ----
--
------- everything below is the key performance optimization -------

Platform-independent changes:

  *) vmSymbols.hpp, library_call.cpp and other changes: the usual set of
scaffolding for Unsafe intrinsics. We reuse most of the infrastructure,
adding new nodes/cases in the existing code.

  *) Unsafe tests are are changed to accommodate new code shapes, and
also change the bit patterns we use to detect endianness issues.

x86-specific changes:

  *) Full set of new x86_{32|64} intrinsics are provided in .ad files.
Supporting 8-byte and 16-byte ops required introducing new operations in
x86 assembler. These are tested by new compiler/unsafe tests.

Performance data justifies the change, and highlights pitfalls:

  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~shade/8157726/notes.txt

Testing: eyeballing x86 assembly; targeted benchmarks;
{java/lang/invoke/VarHandles, compiler/unsafe} tests on x86_{32|64},
POWER; RBT hs-comp-tier0.

Thanks,

-Aleksey