Fwd: Java stack unwinder for Linux + gdb7.10+

Mikael Gerdin mikael.gerdin at oracle.com
Tue May 31 14:55:46 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-31 16:46, Andrew Dinn wrote:
> On 31/05/16 14:13, Mikael Gerdin wrote:
>> On 2016-05-31 15:09, Andrew Dinn wrote:
>>> I probably should have sent this here initially rather than to jdk9-dev.
>>> Anyway, I hope subscribers to this list will find this interesting.
>>
>> I saw it, tried it and it worked after replacing a bunch of
>> -        except Exception, arg:
>> +        except Exception as arg:
>
> Hmm, this one's python fu is strong ... well, stronger than mine
> (doesn't take too much :-)

I doubt that :)

> Thanks for trying it and reporting back. I'm not really sure why that
> change works for you and the original does not. Could you provide info
> as to what error occurred before the change? and/or explain why the
> change is needed?

I tried it on the default gdb/python combo shipping on Ubuntu 15.10.

My approach to solving it was to google "python try except", noticing
that the official Python 3.5 docs contain code like "except Exception as
foo" and applying the fix.

I have no idea why or how it's supposed to work.

>> and adjusting the sources to account for jdk 9 changes which I don't yet
>> have in my project workspace.
>
> Yes, sorry for that. n.b. if you wind my hg repo back a bit a few
> commits you get a jdk9 version of dbg.py that works with b118 and
> predecessors (if you fixed it /without/ doing that I'm even more
> impressed :).

I just did a vimdiff of dbg.py and dbg8.py and replaced all the
references to CompiledMethod and CodeBlob related stuff with the ones
from the dbg8.py where it seemed appropriate.

/Mikael