Re: please help understanding what's the relationship of hotspot compiler c1 and c2 ?

Krystal Mok rednaxelafx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 08:54:10 UTC 2016

Hi,

By "HIR" and "LIR", I specifically mean the "High-level IR" and "Low-level
IR" for C1. In C1, the GraphBuilder is what parses Java bytecodes into HIR,
and then the LIRGenerator is what lowers HIR into LIR, and finally the
LIRAssembler is what encodes LIR into actual machine code.

C1 is the "Client Compiler", and C2 is the "Server Compiler".
In a HotSpot Client VM build (which is by default not available on 64-bit
architectures), it only contains C1.
In a JDK7+ HotSpot Server VM, the VM actually contains both C1 and C2
compilers. They can work together in what's called a "tiered compilation
system", where methods can be interpreted first, then compiled by C1, and
then further compiled by C2.
In JDK7, -XX:+TieredCompilation is off by default, where as in JDK8 it's on
by default.

- Kris