JEP 189: Shenandoah: An Ultra-Low-Pause-Time Garbage Collector

Erik Helin erik.helin at oracle.com
Thu Nov 17 14:13:14 UTC 2016

On 11/14/2016 07:25 PM, Christine Flood wrote:
> Hi
>
> We've addressed the issues with the JEP that were brought up last summer.
> We've been meeting our performance goals.
>
> What do we need to do to get Shenandoah approved for OpenJDK10?

Hi Christine,

I read through the JEP, thanks for making the suggested changes. One
thing I'm missing though are the operating systems you intend to
support? The JEP mentions that Red Hat will support Shenandoah for the
arm64 and amd64 CPU architectures, but doesn't mention any operating
systems.

I would strongly prefer that the JEP suggested by Roman, "GC Interface:
Better isolation of GC implementations" [0], is integrated before this
JEP is submitted in order to ensure that the code can co-exist
side-by-side with the existing GC algorithms (and be maintained
effectively by another contributor). Would you mind adding a dependency
in the Shenandoah JEP on Roman's "GCInterface" JEP?

As for the JEP process, please see http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/1 and
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mr/jep/jep-2.0-02.html.

Thanks,
Erik