PING: RFC for new JEP: Reduce metaspace waste by dynamically merging and splitting metaspace chunks.

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 12:42:06 UTC 2016

Hi Mikael,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Mikael Gerdin <mikael.gerdin at oracle.com>
wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I have some questions about how your suggested change affects the
> allocation policy.
>
> Currently, once a SpaceManager has reached the _small_chunk_limit it will
> only allocate medium chunks even if an allocation request could be
> satisfied with a smaller variant.
>

> If metaspace is sufficiently fragmented by small chunks such that a medium
> chunk cannot be coalesced then we can still fail to satisfy an allocation
> request with large amounts of free memory, is this something that you have
> observed?

I did not see this in my tests, but in theory this is still possible even
with my patch. If free and in-use small chunks are tightly interspersed,
this would of course still prevent merging them to medium chunks. I think
to prevent this the chunk would have to be movable, so that they can be
compacted. Or, as a quick fix, the size ratio between small and medium
chunks could be made smaller, so that the chance that one stray in-use
small chunk prevents its free neighbors from being coalesced is smaller.

In the scenarios we observed we saw mostly free small chunks resting in the
freelist, because the class loaders which allocated them were all unloaded.

I try to understand how probable the scenario is you describe: in order to
fill up metaspace with small chunks - so that allocation of new medium
chunks fails - and to intermix free and in-use small chunks such that
coalescation to a medium chunk is not possible but there are still enough
free small "uncoalescable" chunks to matter (what you call "large amounts
of free memory"), one would have to have a quite "unlucky" allocation
pattern.

I think it is certainly possible, but less probable than the scenario this
patch tries to address: that metaspace was allocated in many small chunks
by class loaders which are now all dead and the small chunks are all free.

Kind Regards, Thomas