[9] RFR(L) 8166417: Graal-core into JDK for AOT compiler

Remi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Fri Oct 28 21:05:09 UTC 2016

On October 28, 2016 7:11:05 PM GMT+02:00, Christian Thalinger <cthalinger at twitter.com> wrote:

>> On Oct 27, 2016, at 11:20 PM, Volker Simonis
><volker.simonis at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 6:20 PM, Vladimir Kozlov
>> <vladimir.kozlov at oracle.com <mailto:vladimir.kozlov at oracle.com>>
>wrote:
>>> AOT JEP:
>>> Subtask:
>>> Graal-core:
>>> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/graal/graal-core/
>>> Webrev:
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kvn/aot/graal.webrev/
>>>
>>> This is last part of AOT project. AOT requires Graal-core to be part
>of JDK.
>>> AOT compiler uses Graal-core as backend compiler - we use its
>ability to
>>> generate immutable PIC code.
>>>
>>> We are working with Oracle's Labs on this integration.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, if you want to experiment do next:
>>>
>>> hg clone http://hg.openjdk.java.net/graal/graal-core/
>>>
>>> apply patch from graal.webrev
>>>
>>> cp graal-core/graal myjdk/hotspot/src/jdk.vm.compiler
>>>

>> The convention is that the directory name under "src/" (i.e.
>> "jdk.vm.ci") corresponds to the package name of the contained sources
>> (i.e. "jdk.vm.ci/share/classes/jdk.vm.ci.code/src/jdk/vm/ci/code”).
>
>I don’t think that’s a convention.  There are plenty of examples that
>say otherwise.  Also, you could drop another compiler in the same
>module jdk.vm.compiler and things would just work.

That's the convention but obviously the jdk was not designed when modules were around thus the actual jdk modules do not respect that convention.
New modules should try to respect that convention.

Rémi

>> Following this convention, the graal sources should either be copied
>> to myjdk/hotspot/src/com.oracle.graal/share/classes or the graal
>packe
>> should be renamed to jdk.vm.compiler. And then there's still the
>> package com.oracle.nfi which would require a separate sub-dir under
>> hotspot/src if it wouldn't be moved into com.oracle.graal...
>>
>>> After that you can build JDK with AOT.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vladimir