C/C++ IDE support for HotSpot

Mikael Gerdin mikael.gerdin at oracle.com
Fri Mar 24 08:47:05 UTC 2017

Hi Robbin,

On 2017-03-24 09:02, Robbin Ehn wrote:
> Hi, again,
>
> On 03/24/2017 08:58 AM, Robbin Ehn wrote:
>> Hi Mikeal,
>>
>> On 03/22/2017 05:20 PM, Erik Österlund wrote:
>>> Hi Mikael,
>>>
>>> In my workflow I use emacs with rtags for snytax awareness.
>>> With your cmake patch, I could easily generate the cmake files and
>>> run cmake  with -DCMAKE_EXPORT_COMPILE_COMMANDS to generate the
>>> compiler_commands.json file used by rtags
>>> to understand how the code fits together, and feed it to rdm.
>>> Everything worked out of the box.
>>
>> I also use rtags, but with vim.
>>

>>> With these changes it was faster than ever to setup a good
>>> emacs-based project for hotspot development. So I encourage these
>>> changes!
>>
>> I have not tested this, but it must be faster, since now I compile the
>> source twice, once with gcc and once with clang for rtags.
>
> I have still gotten my morning coffee, this step I have to do anyways of
> course.
>

>> Can cmake do incremental updates to compiler_command.json file, would
>> be awesome if so? (Erik?)
>
> This is what I need, now I can't do incremental builds if change any
> flags or add files.

I'm not sure how the generation of compiler_command.json works but to
refresh the CMakeLists.txt file you have to invoke the
hotspot-cmake-project make target again. This should pick up new files
or flags from the build system.

There is a way to add dependencies on build system variables so that the
refresh would only actuallly run when needed but I couldn't figure that
out so for now the CMakeLists generation is .PHONY-target.

/Mikael