RFR: 8196876: OopStorage::assert_at_safepoint clashes with assert_at_safepoint macros in g1CollectedHeap.hpp

Kim Barrett kim.barrett at oracle.com
Fri Mar 2 03:23:00 UTC 2018

Please remove this fix for a macro name collision.

g1CollectedHeap.hpp contains a collection of assertion macros,
embedded in the middle of the class definition.  A couple of them
could be quite widely useful: assert_at_safepoint and
assert_not_at_safepoint.  The specific implementations here aren't
really what we'd want elsewhere, and assert_at_safepoint has some
extra stuff about whether the current thread is the VM thread, which
is similarly not what we'd want elsewhere.  And it collides with a
helper function in OopStorage.

Moved assert_at_safepoint() and assert_not_at_safepoint() macros to
runtime/safepoint.hpp, along with a pair of associated macros that let
the caller provide the failure message.  These have the "obvious"
implementations using SafepointSynchronize::is_at_safepoint() and
assert.

The assert_at_safepoint macro that was in g1CollectedHeap.hpp is now
called assert_at_safepoint_on_vm_thread, since that's the test that
all but one of the (G1) callers wanted.  The only outlier was
DirtyCardQueueSet::apply_closure_during_gc, and it doesn't really care
whether it's called from the VM thread.

The colliding OopStorage function has been removed; OopStorage now
just uses the new shared macro.

There are a large number of places that could use the new safepoint
assertion macros; that's a cleanup I'm going to leave for later.

CR:

Webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kbarrett/8196876/open.00/

Testing: