RFR: 8176717: GC log file handle leaked to child processes

Leo Korinth leo.korinth at oracle.com
Mon Mar 12 15:54:57 UTC 2018

On 12/03/18 15:29, Thomas Stüfe wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> This seems weird.
>
> This would affect numerous open() calls, not just this GC log, I cannot
> imagine the correct fix is to change all of them.

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean with "numerous open()". This
fix will only affect logging -- or am I missing something? os::open does
roughly what I try to do in os::fopen_retain.

> In fact, on Posix platforms we close all file descriptors except the
> Pipe ones before between fork() and exec() - see unix/native/libjava/
> childproc.c.

Yes, that is why my test case did not fail before the fix on unix-like
systems. I do not know why it is not handled in Windows (possibly a bug,
possibly to keep old behaviour???), I had planned to ask that as a
follow up question later, maybe open a bug report if it was not for
keeping old behaviour. Even though childproc.c does close the file
handler, I think it is much nicer to open them with FD_CLOEXEC (in
addition to let childproc.c close it). os::open does so, and I would
like to handle ::fopen the same way as ::open with a proxy call that
ensures that the VM process will retain the file descriptor it opens (in
HotSpot at least).

> Such code is missing on Windows - see
> windows/native/libjava/ProcessImpl_md.c  . There, we do not have
> fork/exec, but CreateProcess(), and whether we inherit handles or not is
> controlled via an argument to CreateProcess(). But that flag is TRUE, so
> child processes inherit handles.
>
> 331                    if (!CreateProcessW(
> 332                        NULL,             /* executable name */
> 333                        (LPWSTR)pcmd,     /* command line */
> 334                        NULL,             /* process security
> attribute */
> 335                        NULL,             /* thread security attribute */
> 336                        TRUE,             /* inherits system handles
> */          <<<<<<
> 337                        processFlag,      /* selected based on exe
> type */
> 338                        (LPVOID)penvBlock,/* environment block */
> 339                        (LPCWSTR)pdir,    /* change to the new
> current directory */
> 340                        &si,              /* (in)  startup information */
> 341                        &pi))             /* (out) process information */
> 342                    {
> 343                        win32Error(env, L"CreateProcess");
> 344                    }
>
> Maybe this is the real error we should fix? Make Windows Runtime.exec
> behave like the Posix variant by closing all file descriptors upon
> CreateProcess >
> (This seems more of a core-libs question.)

I think it is both a core-libs question and a hotspot question. I firmly
believe we should retain file descriptors with help of FD_CLOEXEC and
its variants in HotSpot. I am unsure (and have no opinion) what to do in
core-libs, maybe there is a deeper thought behind line 336?

Some reasons for this:

- if a process is forked using JNI, it would still be good if the
hotspot descriptors would not leak.

- if (I have no idea if this is true) the behaviour in core-libs can not
be changed because the behaviour is already wildly (ab)used, this is
still a correct fix. Remember this will only close file descriptors
opened by HotSpot code, and at the moment only logging code.

- this will fix the issue in the bug report, and give time for core-libs
to consider what is correct (and what can be changed without breaking
applications).

Thanks,
Leo