Pre-RFR (L) 8199263: Split interfaceSupport.hpp to not require including .inline.hpp files

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Tue Mar 13 22:00:02 UTC 2018

On 14/03/2018 12:00 AM, coleen.phillimore at oracle.com wrote:
> On 3/13/18 8:55 AM, Stefan Karlsson wrote:
>> I'd prefer if you removed the .inline.hpp files from precompiled.hpp.
>> We could also do it as a separate cleanup if you don't want to retest
>> this patch.
> Let's do that separately.  I didn't know what we wanted to do for
> precompiled.hpp honestly.

I'd like to understand how .inline.hpp files work with PCH. If they can
be precompiled then I would think we want to keep them in
precompiled.hpp. If pre-compiling is meaningless for .inline.hpp then we
should remove them as clutter.

I don't expected precompiled.hpp to be subject to the ".hpp can't
include .inline.hpp" rule.

I hope to look at this soon as well.

Thanks,
David

> thanks,
> Coleen
>>
>> Thanks,
>> StefanK
>>

>> On 2018-03-13 12:50, coleen.phillimore at oracle.com wrote:
>>> interfaceSupport.inline.hpp and stopped including it in .hpp files
>>>
>>> 90% of this change is renaming interfaceSupport.hpp to
>>> interfaceSupport.inline.hpp.   I tried to see if all of these files
>>> needed this header and the answer was yes.   A surprising (to me!)
>>> number of files have thread state transitions.
>>> Some of interesting part of this change is adding
>>> ciUtilities.inline.hpp to include interfaceSupport.inline.hpp for
>>> VM_ENTRY. whitebox.inline.hpp was added for the same reason.
>>> jvmtiEnter.hpp was renamed jvmtiEnter.inline.hpp because it includes