RFR: 8213415: BitMap::word_index_round_up overflow problems

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 12:42:07 UTC 2019

Hi Kim,

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kbarrett/8213415/open.03/src/hotspot/share/utilities/bitMap.hpp.udiff.html

+  // Limit max_size_in_bits so aligning up to a word never overflows.
+  static idx_t max_size_in_words() { return
raw_to_words_align_down(~idx_t(0)); }
+  static idx_t max_size_in_bits() { return max_size_in_words() *
BitsPerWord; }

Could we have better comments? I first thought that max_size_in_words()
means bitmap size, only the static specifier ticked me off.

So, if I understand this correctly, we need this since we use the same type
for bit and word indices and since we have a n:1 relationship between those
two the max. bit index is necessary smaller than <type>_MAX?

+  // Assumes relevant validity checking for bit has already been done.
+  static idx_t raw_to_words_align_up(idx_t bit) {
+    return raw_to_words_align_down(bit + (BitsPerWord - 1));
+  }

Interestingly, this could break should we ever have different types for
word- and bit indices. Should we ever want to templatize the underlying
types, eg. to support small bitmaps where 8 or 16 bits would be enough to
encode a bitmap index. Then it could make sense to have a larger type for
word indices than for bit indices and we could overflow here.

(Just idle musings.. we have talked about using different types for bit-
and word-indexes before. I have worked on a patch for this, but it got
snowed under by other work. See:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~stuefe/webrevs/bitmap-improvements/bitmap-better-types.
What do you think, does this still make sense?)

+
+  // Verify size_in_bits does not exceed maximum size.
+  static void verify_size(idx_t size_in_bits) NOT_DEBUG_RETURN;

"maximum size" is unclear. Can you make the comment more precise?

Also, could this function be private?

+  // Verify bit is less than size.
+  void verify_index(idx_t bit) const NOT_DEBUG_RETURN;
+  // Verify bit is not greater than size.
+  void verify_limit(idx_t bit) const NOT_DEBUG_RETURN;
+  // Verify [beg,end) is a valid range, e.g. beg <= end <= size().
+  void verify_range(idx_t beg, idx_t end) const NOT_DEBUG_RETURN;

I have a bit of a trouble understanding these variants and how they are
used.

I believe to understand that verify_limit() is to verify range sizes, since
the valid range for a size type is always one larger than that for an index
type, right? But it is used to test indices for validity, for example via
to_words_align_down() -> word_addr(). Which would mean for a 64bit sized
bitmap (1 word size) I can feed an invalid "64" as index to word_addr(),
which verify_limit() would accept but would get me the invalid word index
"1". I would have expected word_addr() to only return usable word adresses
and to assert in this case.

I also feel that if I got it right the naming is the wrong way around. I
would have expected "verify_size()" to refer to the bitmap object map size,
and "verify_limit()" to the type limit (similar to limits.h)..

Cheers, Thomas