RFR: 8307100: Remove ReferentBasedDiscovery reference discovery policy [v2]

Thomas Schatzl tschatzl at openjdk.org
Tue May 2 14:49:28 UTC 2023

On Tue, 2 May 2023 13:47:21 GMT, Albert Mingkun Yang <ayang at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Mostly consisting of mechanic refactoring after replacing `RefDiscoveryPolicy == ...` with `true` or `false`.
>>
>> Test: tier1-6
>
> Albert Mingkun Yang has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The pull request now contains two commits:
>
>  - merge
>  - remove-referent-policy

lgtm.

src/hotspot/share/gc/shared/referenceProcessor.cpp line 930:

> 928: //   most "local" and most conservative approach, albeit one
> 929: //   that may cause weak references to be enqueued least promptly.
> 930: //   We call this choice the "ReferenceBasedDiscovery" policy.

I would remove the last sentence; after this change "ReferenceBasedDiscovery" is never referenced anywhere useful, so mentioning it here does not seem to have a purpose. Not sure if it makes sense to keep indenting the paragraph explaining it either.